Waking up to the thick layer of frost outside this morning, it is the sign it’s time to winterize for the winter.
- Get your furnace serviced if you haven’t had an annual maintenance check recently. If you’ve done major renovations this year or added a basement development you might want to have the ducts cleaned too. If you have a gas fireplace, add that to the service list if you haven’t had it checked in a couple of years.
- Clean and inspect any wood burning fireplaces.
- Test your smoke detectors and change the batteries. If your smoke detector is more than 8-10 years old, it needs replacement. The test may beep but it may no longer be as effective at detecting smoke and fire so check your model and replace if needed.
- Check your windows and doors and repair any seals needed.
- Blowout and winterize sprinkler systems and shut off water to outside taps.
As you take a walk around your property secure anything that might be blown away or damaged during a winter storm and put up the fall decorations.
Oh, and pull out the sleds, skates, skis and other winter gear. There is an upside to coming snow.
Calgary Real Estate Market Updates - Receive monthly updates, develoment news and local real estate news in your inbox.