September 14, 2017
5 Important fall and winter maintenance preparation tips
1. This has been an unusual year in Calgary with many days of smoke from the BC and Alberta fires. Inspect and potentially change your furnace filters earlier than normal to keep your furnace running efficiently. This is especially true if you run your furnace fan or an air conditioner in the summer. My own filters (only 1 1/2 months old) were clogged with ash from the smoke.
2. Request an inspection and service for your furnace and other gas appliances. ATCO provides an annual furnace inspection service which is free of charge. For cleaning or repair please contact your preferred qualified contractor. (If you are a senior please contact Alberta Senior and Housing for potential financing assistance before making any needed renovations.)
3. Smoke detectors only work for approximately 10 years. After this time they will been and test green on a battery check but they may no longer be effective at detecting smoke. Check and replace any smoke detectors older than 10 years.
4. Drain your outside water lines and sprinkler lines and turn off the water lines to the outside taps inside your home. The lines to your outside taps are most susceptible to freezing in colder temperatures.
5. Should you be leaving your home unattended contact your insurance company to determine requirements. For example, many insurers require a property check every set number of days or require the water be shut off at the residence.
Post Your Comment: